Siaw Ping
Please read Luke 10:38-42 before you proceed with reading.

The verses bring us to the story of Martha and Mary. Both sisters have their very own personalities.

Jesus and his disciples are on the way to a village where they meet Martha and Mary. Martha and Mary are very surprised by his presence in their midst. Martha is very busy getting everything prepared for Jesus and his disciples. However, Mary, on the hand, is so calm and sat down to listen to what Jesus says.

Martha is unhappy with her sister’s attitude, she even asks Jesus to tell Mary to help up. But, in Jesus’s eyes, Mary has chosen what is better, that is to listen to his words rather than distracted to do other things just like Martha does.

Sometimes, we are so used to ‘live’ in a church till we lose the focus. What is the focus? What is your answer? I am sure there is one answer playing in your mind now. We always mention about serving GOD, but the main purpose of serving GOD is to draw us close to GOD, not serving or doing bombastic projects for HIM.

This short devotion material has led me to think about my relationship with GOD. Being in a new church and new cell group, i have been searching for the direction of serving, which area of serving is GOD putting me in? Thus, i look around seek around, what is GOD trying to tell me. It’s kind of struggle being in a totally new and different church/cg.

To my cg members, i guess they see me as a spiritual sister who wants to do the best for the church/cg. I don’t think this is a good impression as people won’t come to me for help as they will feel that i only talk about “GOD, GOD, GOD”. Really a pity when i think about this.

Not to say it’s wrong to lead bible study to lead any special event or to take part in any church/cg activities, but not to forget that everything that we do is to draw us close to GOD. We always say we must learn to serve GOD wherever we go, wherever we are. This has somehow led to wrong perception that, serving GOD is the priority out of all.


I always feel that there is something i can offer for improvement.

I always feel that I still have more potential to discover.

I always feel that I can do more than what I am doing now.

However, all these can’t be done without GOD’s grace and blessing. I forget that GOD is the one who is in control of everything, not me. GOD wants us to listen attentively to HIS words just like Mary does. Not like Martha who is busy around, losing the treasure that GOD has prepared ahead of us.




Sometimes, we may get “over-ss” as we already have the precious gift --- salvation that we forget to sit on HIS leg to listen to HIS story just like a small kid.
Have you forgotten anything? ......................................
0 Responses